LGBT Prom helps students create new memories

Alliance+members+voted+Julian+Lamson+%28left%29+and+Jocie+Pry+%28right%29+as+their+LGBT+Prom+royalty.+%28Photo+courtesy+of+Julian+Lamson%29.+

Alliance members voted Julian Lamson (left) and Jocie Pry (right) as their LGBT Prom royalty. (Photo courtesy of Julian Lamson).

Ava Chuppe, Staff Writer

Students gathered for the first in-person LGBT Prom event in three years in the Curris Center Small Ballroom on Thursday, Nov. 10.

The event was held by Alliance, the LGBT student organization, and featured music and a taco bar. While Alliance used to host the LGBT Prom each year, it has been canceled for the past two years because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Alliance President Julian Lamson said they experienced LGBT Prom as a freshman.

“It really shaped my college experience, so I decided it would be a great idea to bring it back with the help of my wonderful executive board,” Lamson said.

Alliance wanted to reinstate the event to make up for the “less-than-stellar” Prom experiences some LGBT students had, Lamson said.

“It’s really hard being young and queer, and many grew up in conservative areas where going to prom with their partner or simply being themselves was not a safe option,” Lamson said. “We hoped to replace those memories with a prom that was safe, supportive and lots of fun. Everyone was allowed to be themselves, hold their partners and enjoy themselves without fear of repercussions.”

Lamson and sophomore mathematics major Jocie Pry were crowned royalty at the event. Pry said it was nice being crowned queen.

“Everyone was just so excited, and it felt wonderful,” Pry said. “Obviously, it wasn’t the same as a prom you’d have in high school. Instead of a crown and scepter, I got a cowboy hat and Furby, but I don’t think it needed to be just like high school.”

Bec Cahoe, vice president of Alliance, reported having a great time at LGBT Prom.

“Lots of our current members, myself included, also missed senior or even junior prom amidst the pandemic,” Cahoe said. “We wanted to give people that classic prom experience but in a place and with people they could safely express themselves around.”

Cahoe said they are grateful to everyone who attended the event.

“We danced to classic songs like the ‘Cupid Shuffle’ and ‘Cotton Eye Joe,’ as well as pride culture anthems such as ‘Dancing Queen’ and ‘Born This Way,’” Cahoe said. “I think people seemed to have an awesome time, and they loved the voting and crowning of prom royalty at the end of the night.”

Lamson thanked the Pride Center Director Abigail Cox and the Alliance executive board for their work in making the event happen.

“We prepared for this event for a while,” Lamson said. “It’s wonderful that so many people turned out and had an amazing time. Alliance will always be a safe space on this campus for LGBT students, and we will continue to work hard to provide fun, positive experiences for them.”

While the decision has not yet been confirmed, Alliance is considering holding another LGBT Prom event toward the end of the spring semester.

Alliance will hold its final meeting of the semester, a potluck, at 7 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 17 in the Women’s Center at C102 Oakley Applied Science. Interested students can follow their Instagram @msu_alliance for future updates and meeting details.