Tight battle ends in defeat for Racers

Junior wide receiver Taylor Shields makes a jumping catch.
Re

A back-and-forth bout ended with Missouri State topping the Murray State football team 28-24. The game was tied at halftime, but the Bears scored a third-quarter touchdown, and kept the Racers out of the end zone late to secure the win on Missouri State’s homecoming.

Murray State got the ball rolling by forcing a fumble on defense, and capitalizing with a 13-yard touchdown pass from redshirt sophomore DJ Williams to junior wide receiver Taylor Shields.

On the following drive, Missouri State answered with a 23-yard touchdown pass from junior quarterback Jordan Pachot to freshman wide receiver Jmariyae Robinson.

The Racers answered with an 11-play drive that ended with a 26-yard passing touchdown to sophomore tight end Cole Rusk.

The Bears scored late in the first quarter as Pachot found sophomore tight end Gary Clinton in the end zone to tie the score at 14

Murray State struck quickly in the second quarter as Williams found Shields again for a 16-yard passing touchdown with 13:40 left before halftime.

After trading punts, Missouri State put one more touchdown on the board before halftime. Pachot threw a pass to senior wide receiver Terique Owens for a 16-yard touchdown to tie the game at 21 points apiece.

The scoring slowed in the second half, with Murray State putting up a field goal early in the third quarter, and Pachot completing a pass to junior wide receiver Raylen Sharpe for a touchdown to take the lead later in the quarter.

Neither team scored in the fourth quarter, despite interceptions from both quarterbacks. When the clock struck zero, the Bears stood tall, defeating the Racers 28-24.

Williams completed 21 of his 34 passes, tossing three touchdowns and two interceptions in the fourth quarter. Rusk caught seven passes for 88 yards and a touchdown, while Shields caught five passes for 61 yards and two touchdowns.

Parchot led the way for the Bears, completing 19 of his 29 passes and throwing four touchdown passes. He also threw an interception in the fourth quarter. 

The Racers fall to 2-5 overall and 1-3 in conference play. They head back on the road next week to take on North Dakota State in Fargo, North Dakota. Gametime is set for 2:30, Saturday, Oct. 28, and will be streamed on ESPN+.