Fernandez breaks Murray State digs record

Senior libero Becca Fernandez broke the Murray State all time digs record on Saturday, Sept. 11 against Georgia Southern. Photo courtesy of Racer Athletics.

Rachel Essner
Staff Writer

On Saturday, Sept. 11, Murray State volleyball player senior libero Becca Fernandez broke the record for Murray State’s All-Time Digs during a game against Georgia Southern University.  

The record was previously held by Kayleah Sauer (2008-11) who finished her career with 2,165 total digs. Fernandez counted 19 digs against Georgia Southern to surpass Sauer by one, totaling 2,166 career digs and counting. 

The Carol Stream, Illinois native began her volleyball career in fifth grade on her grade school team, the earliest she was able to. Fernandez said she continued playing on club teams all the way through her senior year of high school in addition to playing for St. Francis High School. 

“I started on the freshman B-team at my high school,” Fernandez said. “Not even the A-team, but in their defense I didn’t have contacts yet so I couldn’t see anything so I wasn’t very good.” 

Fernandez joined the varsity team her junior year, where she played with many good athletes who also went on to play Division 1 college volleyball. Because of this, St. Francis won state in 2015 with Fernandez playing libero. However, during  Fernandez’s senior year, St. Francis lost in Sectional Semifinals. 

Despite the loss, Fernandez was still named to All-Area and All-Conference teams in both her years on the varsity team. Additionally, Fernandez was named Tournament MVP at the National Junior Classic in 2016 as well as being named to the All-Tournament teams of two other tournaments. 

Fernandez said she had a lot of help on her way to becoming a Murray State record-breaker. 

“I’m so thankful for all of my past teammates and current teammates,” Fernandez said. “I couldn’t do it without the block, the setter or anyone else in the back row. As much as this is a ‘me’ accomplishment, it really was a team accomplishment because it wouldn’t have been possible without everyone else.” 

In addition to her teammates, Fernandez said her family has been her motivation on her journey to where she is now. 

“They are my biggest supporters,” Fernandez said. “My parents and siblings all try to come to whatever they can and are the first ones to tell me congrats or the first ones to pick me up when I’m down.”

Fernandez, along with the whole team, have many goals for the remainder of the season. Fernandez said their biggest goal is to win the OVC Tournament and the NCAA Championship. However, Fernandez said there are still a few things to work out. 

“Right now, especially preseason, we have tunnel vision of working out the kinks and everything we need to fix, making sure we make it through the weekend and figuring out baseline stuff,” Fernandez said. 

As far as after her time playing for Murray State, Fernandez does not want to continue playing volleyball, but plans on finishing her master’s degree in business and is aiming for finding a job in June 2022 so she is able to work while going to school. 

“I am perfectly at peace with leaving my [volleyball] career as it is,” Fernandez said. “I’m hoping to do something in business. I don’t know what that is yet, but as far as goals and aspirations, I have a ton of them, just not super specific yet.”

As for now, Fernandez will continue increasing her record and shining in the back row.